My integral leadership program (via Stagen) offered the following reflection questions for us this past week. It was a real joy to walk through them, considering this past year and the days to come. I encourage you to use them in your own preparation for 2022:
Reflecting on 2021
What are you proud of yourself for in 2021?
- Business: Loving my current role and the people with whom I have the privilege of working. Sticking my neck out into some uncharted waters by exploring institutional leadership as the next step of my career.
- Personally: Seeing my boys grow up another year – from baseball all star teams I get to coach (as an assistant) to watching amazing art develop from the mind of my youngest.
What one word best sums up and describes your 2021 experience?
Who were the three people – outside your family – that had the greatest impact on your life in 2021?
- Mark – my boss and Head of School;
- Mike – a new buddy who has folded me into a network of good people;
- RPM – my executive coach who has given me guidance I didn’t even know I needed.
What was the greatest lesson you learned in 2021?
Excellent communication in the moment is the best approach to managing tomorrow’s challenges.
What else do you need to do or say to be complete with 2021?
I have received the gift of health, fitness, and family on so many occasions when I know others have not – I am grateful for these gifts.
What advice would you give yourself to prepare for 2022?
Preparation is a puzzle on which I must focus all of the time. The key to that puzzle is in my commitment to consistent, daily reflection.
What major indulgence are you willing to experience in 2022?
Backpacking trips to amazing locations with my boys. And maybe a mountain bike ride or two in the mix.
What brings you the most joy, and how are you going to do or have more of that joy, in 2022?
What brings me joy are the faces of my family, particularly my wife and kids. I need to create moments with my kids that blow their minds!
What three separate words (or short phrases) would you like to have as your theme for 2022?
- Pause and Reflect
- Embrace the Challenge
- Depend on Others